Did you know that Rakan, the newest League of Legends support, used to just be Thresh but with Braum's moustache colored a bright pink in place of his wings?
The Riot Games champion design teams for their two newest champions hit up the subreddit today to field questions about their design process and inspirations. Here are some of the highlights of the AMA, other than the placeholder model above:
- Yes, it's guaranteed: Xayah and Rakan'll always have matching skins. Even if a world championship team wins the title with only one of them, they'll always match. They're that kind of couple.
- There's a whole canonical listing about what powers Vastayan citizens of Runeterra get to have. Occilating magics, mobilities, charms, and shapeshifting powers are up there -- think "tricksters."
- Though their specific ages aren't set, there's a slight gap between Xayah and Rakan. Xayah's in her early 20s; Rakan's late 20s.
- A shock rifle was involved in the design process somewhere.
- At one point, Rakan would drop feathers for Xayah to interact with, except that with both of them doing so, it proved to be too many feathers.
- The Vastayah are dying out. There seems to be a fertility problem creeping through their population.
- Apparently, the whole reason why Xayah and Rakan don't get special interactions when Ahri charms one or the other is because they trust each other that much.
- Riot's Gameplay Insights team have set aside a whole set of tools to balance them both as independent champions and as their intended set of bot lane duos. They're intended to be stronger together than apart, but will be especially fine-tuned to not break game balance in the process.
- Now that they've some experience doing a dual-release, even more possibilities have opened up. Discussion's begun on a possible Morgana/Kayle visual update...
Have you tried the two newest League of Legends champions yet? Let us know your thoughts on them down in the comments below.
Get into our YouTube channel to find out which games are worth your money this month, including Persona 5.