Without a doubt, the sudden arrival of the coronavirus pandemic not only altered our entire daily routine, but it also affected the video game industry in many ways. For one thing, COVID-19’s impact can be seen in the way many titles have been delayed.
However, it’s been over half a year since the pandemic started, and the entertainment industry has already started lifting some restrictions and precautions. One example is Pokemon Go, as Niantic previously made some adjustments to the game due to the global pandemic but is now removing some of those changes.
The Pokemon Go community is used to the way the game constantly makes changes, though. After all, it has plenty of events implemented to the game throughout the year, including monthly Research Breakthrough Pokemon.
Niantic and The Pokemon Company adds a bunch of new content to the game only to remove them later on; such is the case with Jessie and James’ leaving from the Pokemon Go universe or some social isolation-situational bonuses that will also be removed soon, too.
There’s no need to worry, though, because Niantic won’t be removing every single one of the temporary bonuses just yet. The company still acknowledges that right now, with the pandemic still ongoing, it’s still ideal to keep social distancing.
However, Niantic’s announcement also mentions how physical exercise such as walking is also recommended in order to help with one’s physical, emotional, and mental health. So, wouldn’t it be best to hit two birds with one stone by playing Pokemon Go if or when you do decide to go out for a breath of fresh air?
That being said, here are some of the COVID-19 bonuses that you have to say goodbye to starting this October:
- Pokemon Egg Hatch Distance, which was reduced previously, will be going back to its original amount before the pandemic started.
- The effectiveness of incense will increase only when you’re walking.
- The only time your Buddy Pokemon will give you Gifts is when you’re almost out, and this can only take place once a day.
- You won’t be guaranteed a Gift when you spin a PokeStop, although it will still have an increased chance.
- More of the boxes you’ll find in the in-game store will have incubators.
On the other hand, here are some of the temporary bonuses that will be staying the same:
- You can continue to carry a maximum of 20 Gifts in your Item Bag.
- The first daily Pokemon you catch will still give you three times the Stardust and XP.
- The duration of incense will remain at an hour.
You can expect these adjustments to take place effective October 1, 2020, at 1 PM PDT. Niantic also states that they have plans to keep certain bonuses for the “foreseeable future,” such as the remote raids and GO Battle League updates.
The live events that were once scheduled for this year have also been rescheduled to 2021, as the company continues to keep tabs on the current global situation – just like all of us.