During a developer livestream, DICE shared their plans for Battlefield 1’s May Update. In the preview, they described many of the planned changes including the new ability to repair stationary weapons, several game mode changes, and netcode improvements. The developers released the May Update to their first-party partners, Microsoft and Sony, and will release the patch upon their approval.
At the latest, you can expect Battlefield 1’s May Update on Tuesday, May 30.
Here’s everything that was previewed during the live stream. Keep in mind the exact numbers may be changed before the patch becomes active on all live servers.
- Activated aiming speed modifier during prepare state as well as charge state.
- This means a player can rotate a maximum of 50 degrees during the prepare state. Also added an input modifier disabling strafe while charging.
- Adding a subtle boost to third person footsteps when bayonet charging to increase threat awareness. Boosted volume of Enemy VO for Bayonet Charge when close to the player.
- Slightly reduced maximum turn rate while charging.
- Removed damage reduction while in charge. Weapons will now hit charging players for normal damage.
- Tweaked values to reduce the number of kill trades within a 30m radius.
- Improvements have also potentially fixed an issue with not being able to continuously hit somebody even if they are standing still.
- Implemented per region threshold settings for server-side hit detection: 130ms for US + Europe, 200ms elsewhere.
- Fixed server-side hit registration interpolation.
- Leading shot only necessary by the margin above the threshold, eg. For US @ 150ms ping, you have to lead by 20ms.
- Fixed latency display for server which is also responsible for decision if to perform client or server-side hit registration.
- Fixed input offsets for server-side hit registration to match client-side.
- Fixed wrong hit indicator display when dying.
To explain leading your shots, if you have a ping above 150 ms you have to aim ahead of your target a little bit more to compensate for your lag. This should decrease the number of times you feel you were shot after getting behind cover.
Map and Modes
- Spectator Mode: Fixed a bug where the first-person camera could become stuck during the Pigeon Carrier Artillery camera sequence on the Assault Tank.
- Changed ticket count for Domination to 200 from 100.
- Fixed missing game mode description for Breakthrough.
- Tweaked scoring values for capturing flags in Conquest. Capturing gives less score now, however, more capture ticks have been added and the team controlling more than 3 flags than the other team will be awarded Conquest Control bonuses.
- Decreased the percentage of contribution to flag capture/neutralize from 50% to 30%.
- Added Join Any Operation button to the main operations screen. Will start a matchmaking session to join any available operation at any size (40 or 64).
The developers have also changed the end-game lobby process for Battlefield 1’s Operations. You should no longer have to exit to the main menu and re-queue after your current match ends. With this new continuous lobby, you’ll stay with your team and switch sides.
- Tweaked self-repair for A7V, FT17, St. Chamond, and Pierce-Arrow.
- Reduced health gained per self-repair cycle from 320 to 200.
- Reduced time taken to complete a self-repair cycle from 8s to 5s.
- This makes these vehicles’ self-repair equivalent to the self-repair of the MkV Landship.
- Increased time that the shell camera is active on the MkV mortar landship from 3.5s to 4.5s. This better fits the increased flight time of the new heavy shell.
- Extended Fighter and Attack Plane elevator flap scaling curves to better cover the entire speed range.
- Reduced cooldown of speed boost ability from 30s to 15s for both the Dogfighter and Airship Buster Attack Plane.
- Set up rear view on all planes.
- Hold freelook while in third person to use rear view.
Field Gun and AA Changes:
- Doubled the health of Field Gun and Stationary AA.
- Made Field Gun and Stationary AA Indestructible.
- Field Gun and Stationary AA will now enter a disabled state at 50% health where they become unusable.
- To use the weapons again they must be repaired back to 100% with the repair tool.
- Changed how max range for AA is applied.
Changes to Fighter plane variants:
- Added new secondary weapon, Incendiary Ammo.
- Incendiary Ammo does greatly increased damage to plane parts, allowing the dogfighter to quickly cripple an enemy plane by breaking a wing.
- Changed active ability from emergency repair to speed boost.
- Changed active ability from speed boost to emergency repair.
- Increased field gun damage against light vehicles.
- Armored cars will no longer take less damage than light tanks from field gun hits.
Changes to FT Packages
Close Support Tank:
- Increased 37mm HE ammo from 4 to 5
- Replaced Secondary Case shell with Coaxial LMG. These changes should help this tank better fulfill its general purpose role.
- Increased reload time on the autocannon from 2.5s to 3.75s
- Increased HE autocannon direct damage from 15-10.5 to 17.5-12.5.
- Corrected primary weapon to HMG as shown in customization, was actually LMG. The more powerful HMG should help offset its limited firing arc when compared to the Coaxial LMG of the Close Support Variant.
- Changed driver secondary weapon from case shell to flamethrower on the A7V Flame Tank Variant. This change will reinforce this variant’s role as a close range tank.
- Added third person freelook to the FT Howitzer Variant.
- Missed this one with the other tanks because the normal version has a turret that can rotate 360 anyway.
- Added rear firing Tankgewehr as driver secondary weapon for the Tank Hunter Landship Variant.
- Enabled driving and third person camera while using driver rear guns in the Squad Support and Tank Hunter Landships.
- Improved MkV Mortar Landship Variant.
- Changed secondary mortar shell from airburst mortar to heavy mortar. Heavy mortar does much more damage and is effective against both infantry and vehicles, but has a much longer reload.
- Replaced alternate smoke and gas mortar shells with with track repair and vehicle smoke equipment.
- These changes should make the mortar Landship more viable as a combat vehicle, rather than sitting in mortar stance in the backline.
- Fixed a bug with third person aiming on vehicles that caused a bullet to not fire in the correct direction when aiming at a soldiers head while they are on a horse.
- Adding a camera shake advanced gameplay option to adjust the amount of camera shake caused by explosions, etc.
- Added missing spotting animation when spotting a downed allied soldier as a medic with the Medical Syringe.
- Automatically show low on ammo icons on friendly soldiers.
- Made all players immortal during EOR.
- Players using controllers can now do custom buttons/sticks mappings.
- Fixed select Operation button not properly appearing when using the joypad or on console.
In addition to the patch preview, DICE confirmed that Premium Friends will remain active until EA Play 2017, which begins on June 10. During EA Play 2017, the developers will preview the Russian DLC, In the Name of the Tsar.
You can expect Battlefield 1’s May Update at the latest on Tuesday, May 30.